Thursday, January 29, 2009

Crazy adventures at work...

So work has been rather crazy lately. Usually it is just mellow and the kids are easy to handle. Yeah I get paid to play with kids for 3.5 hours a day! Best job ever...I even got a raise this week!
Tuesday:
This week is my turn to be on outside duty during "free choice" time and since it is snowy and cold I have been staying near the school. Well after being outside for a while a bunch of kids came running and yelling my name...saying that Preston slipped and fell on the playground and that he was crying so I ran over to see if he was alright. He had just slipped while climbing and bumped his knee and shin. All was good. I told them to be careful and use the stairs since it was so slippery. About fifteen minutes later I am playing soccer with some of the kids and I hear my name being yelled again so I turn around and here comes all the kids with Preston (again), but this time Preston is bleeding like crazy! His whole face is covered in blood. I run over to see what happened and thats when I see a huge gash right between his eyes...I immediately tell the kids to go back to playing and then shove Preston's hand to his gash to put pressure on it. While walking inside Preston just keeps saying 'I'm gonna die!, I'm gonna die!' while I say 'you're not gonna die buddy, head wounds bleed alot.' I hurry him inside and call for my boss, Melissa, so she can call his grandma. At this point I really wanted to take a picture, but that thought left my mind when I realized I should be helping Preston instead of taking pictures. (I now regret not taking a picture) My coworker Jordan helps me clean him up and access the damage. I found another gash on his eyebrow while I was cleaning all the blood off of his face. By this time we finally have the bleeding stopped and Preston is calmed down, we even got him to laugh...only by telling him one of Jordan's many and amazing stories...Jordan has a scar between his eyes from head butting a kid with braces...Preston laughed at that. Preston's grandma took him to the hospital to get stitches. I later found out that he was running around the playground and slipped on the snow/ice and hit his head on the playground stairs...which are about a foot high...ouch! I guess he did follow my directions and use the stairs...just not in the way I wanted. He wasn't at school yesterday, but we did talk to his grandma and he is doing ok. Hopefully he will be back today.
Also on Tuesday, about 5 minutes after Preston's incident, Alan came running in screaming and crying. We found out that he slammed his nose into the metal pole while he was playing soccer. We kept him inside and made him walk around with ice on his face the rest of the day...these crazy kids are so accident prone.
Wednesday:
On Wednesdays I go over to a place called "The Tree House", which is an educational children's museum. My coworker Jody and I take about 15 kids every time. One of the kids, Ammon, didn't want to go and we made him so he told me he wanted to be by himself the whole time. I told him he could be my buddy and he didn't have to interact with the other kids if he didn't want to. On the way over there he told me about his plan to runaway after school tomorrow. His plan was to leave right after school. It would just be him and his friend Joe. Ammon is 9 and Joe is 7. He wouldn't stop talking about it for the rest of the day. Quite the plans for a young kid...I started to think what if he really did runaway So I called my coworker Jake to tell our boss. Jake called his mom to warn her. He wants to runaway because his family is moving to Idaho this Saturday....I hope he doesn't run away and stays safe.
Hopefully the rest of this week goes well...and no more incidents!

No comments: